The purpose of the Undergraduate Library Research Awards is to encourage
critical thinking in research papers
A VISA gift
card (1st prize $200, 2nd prize $150, 3rd prize $100) will be awarded
to the author(s) of the top three papers or projects; group winners split the prize.
- All applicants must be Northwest undergraduates currently enrolled or who graduated in December 2016. We encourage the winners' presence at the award ceremony.
- Eligible papers or projects must have been written during the 2016 Spring, Summer or Fall trimesters. One submission per person.
- Ask your course professor to verify the paper was written in 2016.
- Papers or projects should be 5-30 pages max (not counting required separate references/works cited/bibliography pages) with the author's last name on each page.
- Papers or projects should demonstrate consistent use of any citation style listed
on Citing Sources, which includes many specific examples.
Extensive use (60%) of cited sources from scholarly databases (EBSCOhost Ebook Collection, Academic Search, Education Source, PsycINFO, PsycARTICLES, Business Source Premier, Literature Resource Center, JSTOR, ScienceDirect, Sage, etc.) and/or sources listed in any academic library catalog, including eBooks.
- Application of relevant information sources to topic
- Utilization of a variety of sources: journal articles, magazines, newspapers, books, ebooks, images, videos, scores, or web pages, etc.
- Demonstration of the ability to evaluate information sources
- Responsible use of information by accurately following an academic citation style
Entries are evaluated by a panel of Northwest professors and librarians
|How to submit:
- your research paper
or project (LAST NAME.docx or LAST NAME.pdf).
- max. 50 word abstract (summary) of your paper/project (TITLE.docx)
- photograph of yourself (Why? If you win, the photo will be used in a powerpoint display during the awards ceremony)
- Ask your professor to send a separate e-mail to Verification for Research Award confirming you wrote the paper/project for her/his course offered during a 2016 trimester.
|Deadline & Award Ceremony
- Award recipients and faculty sponsors will be honored at
the Northwest Awards and Recognition Ceremony in the J.W. Jones Student Union Ballroom, Monday, April 3, 2017 at 3:30 pm. If for some reason a winner cannot be present at the ceremony, s/he must pick up their award in person at B. D. Owens Library.
Top of Page
Return to Owens Library Homepage